Monday, November 17, 2008

"Drinking Coffee Elsewhere" By ZZ Packer

ZZ Packer’s short story “Drinking Coffee Elsewhere” was one of the best stories in this book so far. I really enjoyed the story line and the playfulness of the concepts and dialogue. I could almost imagine walking on to the Yale campus and seeing circles of people asking very philosophical questions. I loved Dina’s response, so honest and challenging in the basis of the atmosphere. Can you imagine, you get accepted to a school like Yale and disappoint everyone on the very first day! However, she did get a lot out of it such as having her own room and always being left alone. My favorite part of the story was when her and Heidi hosed each other down in the cafeteria. It seemed to be the peak of the story. Dina finally seemed to come out of her shell and have fun with life. All in all, this was a great short story. I found it unique in it’s emotion and honesty and I truly enjoyed reading it.


Posted by: Krista Behrends

No comments: